Friday, June 18, 2010

The Move Out (or how to fail at moving out of a dorm) PART 2

This is the continuation of events that took place on the second weekend in May, 2010.  It was a Friday.

     O.K.  So after having all those issues with leaving the dorm, I was finally in the truck, on my way out.  It was still raining.  I went to the storage facility.  Everything was going well and things were looking up.  I park the truck outside of my storage and I get out and go around to the passenger side to start unloading my stuff.  Suddenly, I heard a crash.  Now, I am thinking to myself, "Now, what?'  Well, the what was a bottle of Fanta that I had put in the passenger side seat so that I could drink it when I unloaded the U-haul (side note:  For those who don't know, I LOVE bottled soda.  I will take bottle over plastic any day.).  I had bought that Fanta as a quick pick me up on such a horrible starting day.  The bottle broke in the middle of the road of the storage place.  I had to clean it.  In the rain. 

     I unloaded the u-haul and realized that half my stuff was soaked (luckily, anything electronic was in plastic bins).  At this point, I didn't care anymore.  I threw everything into the storage, locked it and went to the truck to take it back . . .only to discover . . .there were no keys in the ignition.  I checked my pockets.  Nothing.  Door panels, floors, truck bed.  Nada.  Checked my messenger bag.  No dice..  I thought, "CRAP.  I must have dropped them in the storage."  Unloaded the storage.  Reloaded the storage.  Frustration is mounting.

     I took a deep breath.  Counted it out.  Looked around again.  I found the keys in the bottom of my messenger bag.  Drove off.  The time is now 4pm.  I have to turn in the U-haul and catch a bus to Dallas by five.  Get to the U-haul.  I wait for them to drive and drop me off at my bus.  I wait.  And wait.  Finally get dropped off in time to miss my 5pm bus.  No problem.  There is a 6pm bus.  But I will miss my connecting bus which will leave me stranded at the bus station for several hours.  I am travelling with alot of luggage. And I realise that I won't get back to my home until 5 in the morning.  I call a good friend of mine and explain my dilemma.  She agrees to put me up for the night.  I don't get home until 36 hours after I wanted to.  So, in the end, it worked out.  A very frustrating day of fail.

     "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."-Robert Burns

No comments:

Post a Comment