Thursday, May 6, 2010

I Don't Date . . .much

     I had intended to write a post about love and dating.  But, I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to set it off.  Inspiration came from a photographer.  My cousin has a photography blog One Eye Open.  If you like photography that is a little out of the ordinary, you should check him out.  He is a talent.  Anyway.  He is the reason for the mood behind this post.  Check out the rest, after the video.
Gnarls Barkley - Who's Gonna Save My Soul? from yunusemre on Vimeo.
  
     O.K.  So I was talking with a young lady that I met in this college town.  We were enjoying a game of basketball on the T.V. She and talking about relationships in our thirties.  I mentioned the fact that I am not a huge fan of dating.  She looked at me and asked me, "Why not?"

     See, I have this theory.  You date to get married or you date to break up.  Now, you are probably thinking to yourself, "T.O.  That is as obvious as a bad toupee."  True.  But it goes further.  Many times, we fool ourselves into thinking someone is "The One".  We overlook those small flaws that others find annoying but you say is cute.  You can fix them.  They can change.  And in the end, they don't change.  And you remain disillusioned.  And the "The One" turns into "The One I Hate".  And when it comes to the break-up, we are MORE upset over the time wasted than with the person we are leaving.  So, for me, why go through that B.S.?

     But all this could have been avoided., if, we look at the situation realistically.   For me, that means I would just rather be friends. See, in your twenties, you tend to go through bullshit drama over the opposite sex (or if you are homosexual, gay/lesbian drama).  By the time you are in your thirties, you have pretty well established yourself and your habits, likes and dislikes.  So why play around on it? For the most part, you can love, share, laugh, cry and have most of your needs met by good friends.

      And, if you are in needing of the "bump chika-waa-waa", just be honest, upfront and discreet about it.  I mean, let's be real.  If it wasn't for the sex, most of our relationships may have not lasted all that long. True story.  And you save yourself the headache of  "being friends". or splitting up the stuff.

     You should only go through heartbreak once or twice.  The rest of it is just crap.

2 comments:

  1. Dude, that's my same theory. But, sadly, it's not our theory. That's what the Van Pelt woman who did Week of Prayer back in high school told us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that . . . she was very insightful

    ReplyDelete