Friday, October 8, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness and Why you shouldn't be worried

***Warning***

     This post will offend two people, in particular.  To those people, read this with an open mind, then judge for yourself.  To everyone else, this post will take a left curve.  I hope you enjoy.

***End Warning***

     I love Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  I always feel attached to it.  Why?  Because I love the female breast.  I do, with NO APOLOGIES.  I am straight, however, even gay men love the breastises.  I won't go any more graphic than that.  But anyone who knows me in IRL (in real life) knows how  I feel about the female form.  My mom has breasts and she gave me life and fed me from those things. So, what is there not to love?

     On a serious note,  I have a friend who's mother died of breast cancer, fairly recently.  She is religious (Christian) and prayed for her mother.  But, I guess it was  her time to go (God decided or let it happen).  My friend has been all about breast cancer awareness.  She does the walks and she shares the news.  She is  a new convert (think about your friend who just stopped smoking or just losta great deal of weight/adopted a healthier lifestyle).

     Well, if you have a Facebook/MySpace/E-mail, you are probably aware that, for the past few years, there has been a gimmick to make people more aware of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  Last year, it was "Put the color of your bra in your status".  This year is "Put where you like to put your purse when you come in from work".  You can find a link to an article explaining it here.

     Well, said friend feels that it is a mockery of "The Fight" and as a Christian woman, it demeans all women of Faith.  She feels that breast cancer is not sexy and should not be put in such a light.  Several of her friends made the same comment.  They feel it is unbecoming of a Christian woman and is misleading, causing people to lust in their hearts and advocate women of Faith not to participate.  At this, I have to draw a line in the sand and call bullshit.  The following is an open letter to her.

Dear Friend,
     Right now is a really tough time for you.  My heart bleeds, know of the pain that you go through, everyday, knowing that your Mother was taken away from you before the time that anyone was ready for.  I wish I could share your pain, but I can't, because your experience is unique and I would not insult you by pretending that I know otherwise.  I don't know the pain of having to explain what death is to two young children or comfort the emptiness that you have.  All I can do is be the best friend that I can be, when you need me.  That is what this poor sinner will do.


     But to pass judgement on people who are trying to bring a light-hearted face to a very serious cause is beneath you.  Right now, it runs counter to what you feel. Your mother was a victim of this terrible disease.  But, by condemning those people, you belittle the people that have survived and use humor to deal with a very serious cause.  I want you to look at the woman who is getting a double mastectomy. She sees a major sign of her womanhood lost forever.  Tell her that she can't be sexy any more.  Tell the woman who went through/is going through chemo and is stuck with the stigma of a cancer patient that it is not o.k. to make light of her situation.  I point this last one to you.  I followed you through your family's struggle and I KNOW that your mother tried to make the best of a bad situation.  This current way was not her way, but I don't think your mother would have been so harsh on people trying to shed light on serious thing. 


     Who cares, if some men, think it is sexual.  When they find out what it is about, they are most likely to back you vs not having cared in the first place.  Doesn't a cracked vessel not still carry water?  And truth be told, if your pastor/fellow church congregants/church leaders read that in your status and the first thing they thought about was where you "like *sex* wherever",  this is not an issue for me or the public, but for you and them and your husband.  Please don't love me any less for this, I am just trying to bring a little different perspective to you.


With all Love and Respect,


T.O.


P.S.  To argue from a religious standpoint that this is wrong . . .I have another point reloaded for you in three days.  It just needs to finish cooking in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment